By Chance Farm rests on a pastoral 111 acres in Eastern Frederick County Maryland.
We are located just outside of Libertytown on Bessie Clemson Road about 20 minutes from Frederick, Westminster and Mount Airy. Our secluded location offers a quiet setting for you and your horse to relax and enjoy your riding time. We strive to maintain a low-key, relaxed environment at the farm.
Our farm offers over 70 acres to roam and enjoy the scenery, including 20 acres of wooded trails. We have several logs and small cross country fences integrated into the property and trails. Many of our boarders use the outside perimeter of the property for conditioning their horses. We often have small groups of boarders go on hacks around the property as an alternative to ring work.
By Chance Farm welcomes dogs, but they must be properly socialized, well behaved and current on vaccinations and de-worming. We want you and your four-legged friends to have the most enjoyment possible! Many of our boarders bring their dogs for exercise and fun, but we do ask that you keep an eye on your dog and not let them run free while you are riding.
The facility offers three barns, indoor arena, outdoor arena, trailer parking and turnaround, and 8 turnout pastures on just over 33 acres. We also have 3 sacrifice paddocks for those horses who need limited grass. For more information about our amenities, please click the links below.
We also host multiple dressage schooling shows each year and a weekend USDF Licensed and USEF Recognized dressage show in late July. Our schooling dressage shows are once a month from March through October. Our boarders often compete in these shows which offer a convenient way to experience a show environment without the hassle of trailering off the property. Of course, if you board with us, you might get recruited into volunteering for a show at some point, but there are plenty of benefits, including Charlene’s fabulous food! We always have a great time at our shows and everyone seems to really love them.
By Chance Farm is home to a beautiful center-aisle barn with an attached indoor arena. The barn boasts the following amenities:
- 25 - 12 x 12 matted stalls
- Nelson automatic waterers
- 2 Hot/Cold water matted wash stalls with heat lamps
- 2 Heated tack rooms with dehumidifiers
- Separate Feed Room with locking door and lidded feed bins
- Cozy observation lounge with heat and air conditioning
- Heated Utility Room with the following: Bathroom, Utility sink, Washing Machine, Dryer, Microwave and Refrigerator
Our Upper Barn is a quaint little barn originally intended for our horses. Over the years it has become part of the boarding facility and we now offer boarding. This barn includes the following amenities:
- 3 - 11 x 11 matted stalls
- Stall fans in summer months
- Locking feed bin
- Use of the entire facility
In late 2013 we decided to add an outside barn in one of our larger fields. This barn was intended to be leased as a barn/field combination, but one of our boarders laid claim to the two stalls very quickly! We plan to continue small improvements to this barn as time passes. Currently, this barn includes the following amenities:
- 2 – 10 x 12 matted stalls
- 1 – 10 x 12 attached run in shed
- Dutch doors
- Rear windows for ventilation
- Use of the entire facility
We boast a large, airy and bright indoor arena which was renovated in the summer of 2012. We cleaned the entire arena, varnished the walls and replaced the base and footing with a new dust free blend. We have plans to continue improvements in the future with more mirrors, fans and light. We are also constantly analyzing the consistency of our footing to ensure the best possible riding surface.
- 80′ x 190′ with a sand and Lightfoot blend
- 2 – 16′ x 8′ mirrors with plans for future additions
- 3 large sliding doors for cross ventilation in the summer months
- Stirrup guard/kick wall approximately 4.5 feet high surrounding arena
- Arena Moist Polymer for moisture enhancement and dust control
- Daily watering and grooming using a Red Master Arena Harrow
Our outdoor arena is a very large and open riding space with wonderful breezes, even on hot summer days. It is nestled in the crook of a hill which offers seclusion and a peaceful environment for riding.
- 225′ x 225′ with sand footing. Over 1 acre of riding space!
- Spring through Fall – Regulation board dressage arena set for use
- Spring through Fall – Full size stadium jumping course set for use
Pastures and Turnout
- Six group turnout pastures ranging from 3 acres to just over 7 acres
- One 2 acre Stallion paddock with hot wire
- One small sacrifice paddock with limited grass
- One rehabilitation paddock